Meet Dr. Quiroz-Mercado
Dr. Hugo Quiroz-Mercado is an ophthalmologist specialized in diseases of the retina, macular diseases, diabetic retinopathy, and retinopathy prematurity. He is currently Retinal surgeon with an appointment at Hospital para Evitar la Ceguera en México, I.A.P., and Medica Sur Hospital. He holds his appointment as a professor at the University of Colorado, Denver.
With over 25 years of practice experience, Dr. Quiroz has held previous appointments as the Director of the Retina Department and Chief of the Experimental Surgery Laboratory at Luis Sanchez Hospital for the Prevention of Blindness, as well as a professor of Ophthalmology at the Facultad de Medicina, Universidad Autonoma de Mexico. He specializes in treating patients with severe retinopathy and helping them cope with the impending complications.
Dr. Quiroz is the former Director of Ophthalmology at Denver Health Medical Center where he influenced teaching programs mainly in Vitreoretinal Surgery as well as impulse research in different areas of Ophthalmology.
Currently, he is director of Research at Asociación para Evitar la Ceguera en México acting as the liaison between several Ophthalmological programs at the USA such are: University of Colorado, Stanford University and Allegro Ophthalmics from Irvine CA. He is a Research level III at Conacyt (Consejo Nacional de Ciencia y Tecnología).
Dr. Quiroz was trained completing fellowships in Vitreo-Retinal Diseases at APEC in Mexico City and Schepens Eye Research Institute in Boston.
- American Academy of Ophthalmology
- Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology
- Pan American Association of Ophthalmology
- Sociedad Mexicana de Oftalmología
- Asociación Mexicana de Retina
- The Retina Society
- The Vitreous Society
- Club Jules Gonin
- Grupo Latino-Americano de Angiografía Ocular y Fotocoagulación
- Academia Nacional de Medicina
Click here to view Dr. Quiroz-Mercado’s full CV
Please note: The documents on this page are in Adobe® PDF format. They require Adobe Reader to be viewed. If you do not have Adobe Reader, you can download it for free by clicking here.
Research Director Hugo Quiroz-Mercado:
- Performs Vitreo-Retinal surgery, teaches residents and retina fellows
- Involved in a progress to prevent diabetic retinopathy.
- Prevention and treatment of retinopathy of prematurity.
- Hugo Quiroz-Mercado – Vision Center
Professor of Ophthalmology Rocky Mountain Lions Eye Institute, University of Colorado:
- Includes Former Instructor: Teaching and Research in Age-Related Macular Degeneration. (AMD)
- Rocky Mountain Lyons Eye Institute at the University of Colorado Health Science Center
Involved in clinical research including:
- External radiotherapy and anti-angiogenic therapy for the treatment of AMD.
- Artificial Vision by Direct Optic Nerve Stimulation (AV-DONE) in blind patients with retinitis pigmentosa in collaboration with Osaka University and the University of Colorado with surgeries being performed in Mexico City at the Hospital APEC.
- Anti-integrin therapy and Neuroprotection and treatment of intermediate macular degeneration from the Cal Tech and Allegro Ophthalmics from Irvine CA. With clinical studies underway in Mexico and other sites in the United States. allegroeye.com
- Augmented reality for patients with macular degeneration and augmented reality for retina surgery. International Medical Advisory Board
Appointment at “Asociacion para Evitar la Ceguera en Mexico” (APEC) – apec.org.mx Scientific Clinical Research Advisor, Hospital for the Prevention of Blindness, Mexico “Hospital Médica Sur” in Mexico City – medicasur.com.mx Universidad Nacional Autonoma de México UNAM The University of Colorado at Denver Conacyt, Mexico